jeudi 23 avril 2015

Villes anglaises par les chromos anciennes (1929)

 
La poésie m'a fait délaisser une de mes principales fonctions sur ce blog : la publication de chromolithographies anciennes, la plupart de la Belle Époque et dont nous avons déjà réuni une collection fameuse. Je vais essayer de reprendre petit à petit le cours des choses. Pour commencer, voici une série de six chromos, datant de 1929 et illustrant des vues pittoresques de villes et de villages du Royaume-Uni : Borwick (Lancashire), Leominster (Herefordshire), Ombersley (Worcestershire), Steyning (Sussex), Tarring (West Sussex) & Woodhouse (Herefordshire). Deux autres séries suivront ultérieurement, datées de 1936 (12 vues) et de 1939 (50 vues).

Borwick, Lancashire

Borwick is a village and civil parish in the City of Lancaster district of Lancashire, England, about 8 miles north of Lancaster, on the Lancaster Canal. It is situated just south of the border with Cumbria. Borwick had until 1960 a station on the former Furness and Midland Joint Railway now Leeds to Morecambe Line. The parish of Borwick had a population of 210 recorded in the 2001 census.

Leominster, Herefordshire

Leominster is a market town in Herefordshire, England, and is located at the confluence of the River Lugg and its tributary the River Kenwater, approximately 12 miles (19 km) north of the city of Hereford and 11 miles (18 km) south of Ludlow. With a population of approximately 11,700 people,[1] it is the largest of the five towns in the county that surround the City of Hereford.

Ombersley, Worcestershire

The village of Ombersley is in the Wychavon District Council area of Worcestershire. The first known reference to the village was the granting of a Charter to Abbot Egwin, later Saint Egwin, of Evesham Abbey in 706 AD. This was the Charter of King Æthelweard of the Hwicce, which granted twelve cassates in Ombersley to the Benedictine Abbey at Evesham. 

Steyning, Sussex

Steyning is a small rural town and civil parish in the Horsham District of West Sussex, England. It is located at the north end of the River Adur gap in the South Downs, four miles (6.4 km) north of Shoreham-by-Sea. The smaller villages of Bramber and Upper Beeding constitute, with Steyning, a built-up area at this crossing-point of the river. 

West Tarring, Sussex

West Tarring is a neighbourhood of the Borough of Worthing in West Sussex, England. It lies on the A2031 road 1.2 miles (1.9 km) northwest of the town centre. It is officially called West Tarring or, less commonly, Tarring Peverell, to differentiate it from Tarring Neville near Lewes, but is usually called just "Tarring" (pronounced "Ta-ring", not "Tar-ring"). During the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, the village was known as Terringes. It is thought that the place name means 'Teorra's people', with Teorra being a Saxon settler.

Woodhouse, Herefordshire

Thomas Lewis founded his Hereford herd at The Woodhouse, Shobdon, Herefordshire in 1822, 24 years before the publication of the first Hereford Cattle Herd Book. Many animals were exported from The Woodhouse Herd especially to the United States of America in the boom years of the 1880s, although Hereford cattle had first been introduced to the country in either 1816 or 1817. Amongst the 1880s sales was Woodhouse Dowager 6th whom Messrs. Gudgell & Simpson bought, along with Anxiety 4th, in 1881 and became the cornerstone of the Hereford breed's presence in the US. The policy of Gudgell and Simpson was to line breed their early imports, and their most notable achievement was the breeding of Prince Domino in 1914: he was probably the greatest bull in the early development of the North American Herefords. There were at least eight crosses of Woodhouse Dowager 6th in the pedigree of this bull. 

Sources des légendes : Wikipédia

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire